The lingering effects from day-to-day physical activity can be debilitating. Soreness and pain can vary in intensity and are caused by a multitude of sources. Whether you are a runner, weight lifter, or casual exerciser you are sure to experience some type of pain from your efforts. This is mainly due to inflammation in your joints and muscles. Additionally, strenuous exercise will release proinflammatory cytokines that will work to suppress your immune system. This doesn’t mean you should stop your physical activity. Thankfully, there is a natural way to combat bad cytokines, inflammation and general pain. The answer lies in the ginger root. Multiple studies have been released proving the benefits of ginger to faster recovery and pain relief. The first study in 2014 revealed that ginger did effectively lower harmful cytokines in endurance runners. Another study that followed in 2015 showed ginger will speed-up muscle recovery following weight-training. The latest study discovered that ginger aids pain caused by running or resistance training. What does this all mean to you? Your diet needs more ginger to help fight pain and decrease recovery time. The next question is how do you get it? Read on to find out.
1. Tea Time Tea is a perfect way to add ginger into a daily routine. Simply grate fresh ginger into some hot water and you’re good to go. To enhance taste, add some lemon juice and/or honey. Another benefit is that teas like this will also work to fight cold symptoms!
2. Stay Smooth Smoothies are a fun and nutritious way to sneak ginger into your recovery and pain relief regiment. You simply add a tablespoon of fresh ginger to a smoothie of your choice and you’re instantly on your way to a more pain-free life. Melaina Huntti of yahoo.com recommends a great Ginger Recovery Smoothie recipe.
Blend the following ingredients for one minute:
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ of a banana
- ½ of a pear
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 and ½ cups of ice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- And, of course, 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
3. Supplement Your Recovery Taking ginger supplements is perhaps the easiest way to get ginger into your body. You can easily purchase ginger supplements online or at your local pharmacy. Just pop a ginger pill daily to ensure constant recovery aid.
4. Stir It Up Easily the most delicious method to ingest ginger is through stir-fry. You can do this at home by whipping up some meats and veggies in peanut oil. Simply stir in some chopped garlic and ginger to make a delectable Asian-inspired dish. You can make a night out of it by going to your favorite local Japanese restaurant. The Japanese are known for using ginger in their recipes and these meals can provide ginger in a fun and appetizing way for the whole family!
- Tags: Diet and Nutrition, exercise, ginger, Natracure Blog, natural, pain, Pain Management, physical activity, smoothies, soreness, stir fry, supplements, tea