Acorn Squash with Brown Rice and Turkey Sausage
Fall ushers in the holiday season, which can make healthy eating a challenge for even the most nutrition-conscious among us. With tempting holiday treats popping up everywhere you go, the best way to stick to your regimen is to make hearty, healthy food. Rich in vitamin A, acorn squash is loaded with flavor and provides an elegant, one of a kind serving container. Pair this sausage-stuffed squash with a simple green salad for a deliciously satisfying weeknight meal.
Calories/Serving: 365 calories/serving
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
2 acorn squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. sweet or hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage
1 small onion
1 medium red pepper
Salt and ground black pepper
1 package precooked whole-grain brown rice (will need 2 cups)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Lightly grease a microwave-safe large plate;
arrange squash halves, cut side down, on plate. Cook squash in microwave oven on high power for 8 to 9 minutes or until fork-tender; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a half-sheet pan with foil. In nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage and cook until browned, breaking up sausage with side of spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, add onion, red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender, stirring occasionally; add to sausage in bowl.
- Using a spoon, scoop out squash, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Add scooped-out squash to bowl with sausage; stir in rice and parsley until combined. (Helpful hint: it’s not necessary to heat rice per package directions)
- Spoon sausage mixture into squash shells; place in prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Add cheese if desired.
- Dig in and enjoy!